Monday 13 February 2012

Recycling and Repurposing

Zandy turned 45 this week and as usual, he is still one of the most difficult people in the world to get a stable present for.

But he's been wandering around with his iPad not in any case and he's been drooling over suitable models on the Internet. Unfortunately, he still has champagne tastes even though we're living on a Coca-Cola budget,so buying one was out of the question.


So, here's my solution. A fused plastic sleeve. I got the idea from a video I saw on YouTube (search "threadbangers laptop bag"), using shopping bags ironed flat to make a durable, but sewable material. It is lined with an old knitted jumper and the padding is all the off cuts of plastic from the bags. It seals with self-adhesive Velcro and there's a bit of Duck Tape to give the top flap a little more sturdiness.

Initially, I thought it had come out too small, but as the padding settles and the seams ease, it is turning out to be exactly the right size.

And it looks much better than I thought it would. I've just made Zandy promise to never turn it inside out as the stitching inside is truly awful.

But, instead of taking the few hours I thought it would, it took nearly three days. I think as I get more practised at both sewing and construction, it'll take less time. I'm now working on one for me that will be made by weaving the strips together to make interesting patterns. I may also apply alcohol inks to brighten up the strips.

And I'm not going to run out of shopping bags in a hurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment