Friday 2 May 2014

Steampunk Jewellery

I've just started making some Steampunk Jewellery. The true Steampunk officianatos amongst you will point out that these are not Steampunk. "Stick a few gears on it and call it Steampunk". But they are Steampunk-esque and Steampunks would be able to punk them even further - I have plans.


They are watch parts suspended in resin. I start with a thin layer of resin at the bottom of the bezel and place the first layer in. This then has to dry for at least 24 hours. Then I add another layer of resin and then next lot of watch parts go in and it has to dry for another 24 hours. Finally, I finish with a final layer of resin over the top to dome the pieces and cover up sharp parts. On some of them, the parts are too tall to be completely covered but the result is still beautiful and you get a different look. 

And then the detail: What I love about this one is the big watch part in the background and then the gears fitting back into the original places creates a really strong look.





 

 The Square one has lots of little bits in the background with the gears and cogs suspended above them. It looks far more 3D in real life. The little bits create a texture that I think works really well with the antiqued silver bezel.

And finally (for the moment), the watch fob. It was fun putting the gears into place in such a way that you can almost imagine them working together. The watch fobs have real depth to them because the back is slightly concave, so I could get more layers in. These actually have three layers before the final doming layer.

I will post more pieces up soon. I have lots of plans on what to do with these and my fingers are just about bleeding from pulling the spindles out of the middle of little teeny tiny cogs and I'm sure I'm going blind squinting at these tiny pieces. Don't worry, I have a magnifying glass and my fingers will heal.

These are for sale. They come with a matching necklace and boxed in a cute hand-made gift box.

No comments:

Post a Comment