Thursday 20 February 2014

A quick decorative feature

My little girl loves to see photographs of herself - what child doesn't?

She has been pestering me to repaint her room. Currently, it is a lovely shade of 80s terracotta. She has been saying for about six months "please would you paint my bedroom, Mummy. I hate pink."

I've currently managed to paint just over half of the room. It starts out dark blue at the top and fades down to a light sky blue, then from waist height down, it is a soft cream. This allows me to use the cool colour she so loves, but warms up in the cream area. Once the base is complete, I'll sponge more of the cream, watered down, to form clouds. I'm keeping it simple so that the room doesn't feel crowded as it is only just over 3 metres by 3 metres (10 ft x 10 ft).

But the walls will need some things. I have loads of ideas of what I want to put up. I've picked up some drum protectors that I'll use to encapsulate some of her art work in.

A friend of our gave us a photo frame. It was pink. Pink. I thought originally I would paint it but it is a plastic that has resisted the paint I was going to use.

Then I bought some canvas self-adhesive tape. It adheres to the frame beautifully. Eureka!


If you enlarge the photo, you can see that the tape has been layered on in little shapes to give texture to the piece.

Next, I brushed a layer of water into the tape to break the surface tension and then brushed three colours of Dylusions spray dies - After Midnight, Calypso Teal and London Blue - in random patches across the entire frame, using more water to allow it to blend even more.

I then laid a huge number of flowers from Prima on my non-stick craft sheet and sprayed them with the same colours. After drying them in the oven on defrost setting (it's rather cold here at the moment), these were glued on randomly across the frame to add interest and texture.

Simple, but effective. I don't want to add more to it because I don't want any one picture to dominate in her bedroom. Sometimes simple is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment